The Educator Standards Board is responsible for:
- Creating teacher and principal standards, and professional development standards
- Creating standards for license renewal
- Collaborating with colleges and universities to align teacher prep programs with standards
- Defining master teachers
- Monitoring compliance with teacher and principal standards;
- Researching policies on the profession of teaching and school administration
- Working with the Department of Education to develop a proposal for a career ladder program
- Recommending policies to lose achievement gaps among groups of students
- Creating standards for treasurers and business managers
- Creating standards for superintendents
- Developing model teacher and principal evaluation systems
- Determining a method for measuring student growth
The State Board is required to appoint ten teachers from public schools, one teacher from a chartered nonpublic school, five school administrators, one school board member, one parent representative and three representatives from higher education to the new board.
The nominations for the Educator Standards Board came from teachers’ unions, higher education, and educational associations that represent teachers, administrators, parents and school board members. Membership on this board is voluntary.
The Educator Standards Board can be found online at http://esb.ode.state.oh.us/